It's got a removable wing that is rubber banded on. The hatch is now magnetic which is an upgrade from the first version.
It weighs 670g with battery. It has approximately 670g of static thrust, and can sustain that for 2-3 minutes. Peak static thrust is 880g, but this is only maintained for the first 10 seconds of flight, enough for a take off. In the air, I suspect the thrust climbs higher due to a >0 intake air speed. The thrust tube is still ~1 foot long with ~85% fan swept area at the exhuast.
Here are the parts I used. If you can't find these exact parts, you should try to purchase similar parts with similar performances.
- 5+ Channel RX (I like to have each control surface linked to its own channel for custom trimming of each surface)
- 4x 9g Servo
- 2x 6" Servo Extension
- ~4' Pushrod
- 12" x 12" x .007" plastic sheet for EDF thrust tube
- 2 x 20" x 30" Foamboard
How to build it
I'll be posting more information soon! If you're in a hurry, don't hesitate to contact me. :)
Why I built it
As an avid War-Thunder player, I grew fond of the F86, so I decided to build one myself. Seeing as there were no plans of decent scale/size, I decided to take my own shot at desinging it.
I used Fusion 360 to design the entire aircraft with a bit of AutoCAD to help export my designs for laser cutting. If you're interested in the details of the design work, or would like to make your own, check out my YouTube Channel!
Here is a picture of it in flight shortly after launch.
On Landing Final
It lands very fast, and has a long smooth final approach.
I want to give a shout out to Mike Marr who helped me launch the Mk2, and also had supplies on hand so that I could repair it at the field.
The paint scheme is modelled after the Japanese Blue Impulse Demo team, which used F86-F40s.
A glance at the bottom, giving a better look at the rubber bands holding the wing on.
Power System Comparison
The old 3s System on the left, the current Mk2 4s system on the right.